Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Fluff


*whew*

So since my last two posts were politically charged, heavy-handed, long-winded ramblings - some fluffy personal notes:

  • Another big storm is brewing for (well, actually already pounding at) Seattle. It's pouring rain and really windy right now, and then a cold front is coming tonight and tomorrow. We could get snow dumped on us tonight and tomorrow ... the forecasters are always non-comittal about it, but even down to sea level we could see up to 8 inches of snow. I'm sure we won't get that, but it looks like we'll see something at least - and since Seattle seems to only have 3 snowplows (2 are in the shop) and doesn't use salt on the roads, I'm betting that tomorrow the roads will be ghastly. More 9-hour commutes. Hopefully I'm wrong about that ... and hopefully we won't lose power again.
  • No big job news yet ... but at the risk of jinxing it, I did get a call about what is potentially a great opportunity. It's a temp-to-hire position, so they want to interview any potential candidates rather than just having the temp agency send someone over, but it sounds exciting and right up my accounting alley (as opposed to any other alleys). Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow (and hopefully I'll have an interview!).
  • I've had a couple of requests to see more of Scott on here. He's infinitely more popular than me after the Bob the Crab video. So, I promise to post more of him soon, with his permission. Of course, then no one will want to hear from me again ...
  • Most importantly - dinner. I'm think steak burritos tonight (skirt steak marinated in olive oil, garlic, lime juice and cilantro, mixed with rice/salsa/shredded cheese, wrapped in flour tortillas and of course - some guacamole and sour cream). Lately I've had a hard time thinking of what to make ... anyone have any ideas? You don't have to send recipes, but what all do you eat for dinner, and what are your favorites? C'mon ... you can all come up with one thing. Help a buddy out here ...

Okay, done for now. Carry on.

8 comments:

CondoBlogger said...

RE: bad weather commuting. Seattle. Underground busses. No?

RE: dinner. Charge extra for the guac.

Scott in Iowa said...

Matt, I have a favorite that is a little different from the same old dinner menu. It's a thai peanut noodle dish that is super easy. It's made with fettucini, chicken, red bell peppers and a peanut sauce that you can spice up as much as you want. If you're interested I can email it to you.

Good luck on the job interview!

Doug Taron said...

Mix 2 tsp each of olive oil and dijon mustard with 1/2 tsp dried thyme or tarragon. Paint mixture onto each of 2 skinless chicken breasts. Pat each breast with about 2 tblsp of shredded parmesan cheese. Bake 17 min at 475. Easy, fast and delicious.

Matt said...

Condoblogger,

Nope. No underground busses. There is a bus tunnel through part of downtown only (about 1.5 miles long)- but it's closed for a few years while they fit it for light rail trains, if we ever really get those.

john said...

I've been so bad with my eating habits lately. In general I'm bad with eating anyway--when I'm good, it's cause I'm on a diet and counting calories/carbs/protein intake. Lately because I've been putting more time in studying, I eat horribly (frozen meals or take out).
I have promised myself that I will do better and learn how to cook. One of my buddies even bought me a cookbook, which I have yet to use.

Anonymous said...

I was SO glad to see you comment on JoeMyGod's site. Personally I think most of the commenters protest too much. Glad to see someone with a similar viewpoint.

Matt said...

Scott - sounds good, I'd appreciate it if you'd e-mail that to me!

Doug - thanks for your idea, too. I use dijon with chicken a lot, hadn't added parmesan ... easy and fast, I like that!

John - I'll have to send YOU ideas! :)

And Jamie - thanks for your support. Sometimes the people who comment on Joe's blog get pretty nasty and faux-intimidating. I've finally said "fuck it" a couple of times and said what I think. It doesn't usually win me many popularity points with that crowd ... but I don't think I'm ever rude about my opinion.

TheBuxStopHere said...

Matt-
I've made this and it's really good...and SUPER easy. Takes some planning ahead though...Low carb? Absolutely not!
Enjoy!
-Andrew

* 4 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin
* 4 slices Swiss cheese
* 1 can (10 1/2 ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 can (10 1/2 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 1/4 cup milk
* 2 to 3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix
* 1/2 cup melted butter

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; place chicken breasts crock pot. Pour chicken broth over chicken breasts. Put one slice of Swiss cheese on each breast. Combine both cans of soup and milk. Cover chicken breasts with soup mixture. Sprinkle stuffing mix over all. Drizzle melted butter on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.