Monday, January 22, 2007

My letter to Mr. Davies

Dear Mr. Davies,

I have recently been shown your music video of “The Bible Says”. I am writing to express my utter disgust with this song and your message.

While I and most of credible science finds absolutely no factual basis in the ex-gay message, that is not the issue here.

You are portraying yourself as a Christian musician. In my faith and education, “Christian” values include love, honor, forgiveness and salvation.

To have a “Christian” song preaching, quite literally and emphatically, that God “hates” (your word) anyone at all is repugnant. No matter what your interpretation of any of the Bible’s teachings, this is not one of them that is accepted by the many Christian sects that I am familiar with.

Singing the statement that “God hates fags” is not only against the teachings of the Christian tradition, but is hate speech and an intolerant use of a word which is used only to promote ignorance, hate and evil. Shame on you for using this vulgarity in the same context in which you praise the Lord. You have put yourself on the same level as the Rev. Fred Phelps and his odious Westboro Baptist Church. If this was your intent, you have succeeded – not admirably, however, but in an exceedingly amateurish way.

You have also claimed, through your website and your MySpace profile, the “support” or “friendship” of other musical groups and Christian talent agencies with whom you obviously have had no conversations and who do not share your views. I and others have contacted some of these groups personally and have asked them to take a closer look at your message and your choice of verbiage. I have also posted your video and contact information on my personal weblog and am actively encouraging (and will continue to encourage) my readers to observe the message that you are spreading. I was introduced to your video on a high-profile website promoting tolerance and acceptance, and I intend to forward this to as many such sites as are available.

You have an opportunity to deliver a message of love, or a message of hate and fear. I am very disappointed that you have taken the low road. This e-mail and any future communication will be publicly posted on my weblog. I welcome the chance to hear a thoughtful and Christian response from you.

Sincerely,
Matt xxxxxx
Seattle, WA

5 comments:

Spider said...

Now THAT was a letter - kudos to you my friend!

Joe Jubinville said...

Matt, the gospel says that not everyone who cries "Lord! Lord!" belong to him. These folks carry on about Jesus and their faith, but their alliegence, as a friend of mine once pointed out, is entirely to Jehova and the old wine. They hate the gospel.

They're preoccupied and carnal.

They quote from Leviticus and the Old Testament against "homosexuality", never taking seriously Jesus' warning that the measure by which they judge another they themselves will be judged (and that includes everything the old holiness code demands). Blind guides!

Don't waste another second on them.

CondoBlogger said...

Can't wait to see if he replies!

Do you think it's real!? I honestly can't tell, and I'm a pretty good BS detector. He talks about fighting the urges, so if it IS real he must have an attraction to the same sex which (personally) I think pretty much makes him gay, and therefore a f**, so he's telling folks that God hates him too I guess... I don't know. This one is kind of sketchy to me.

PLEASE post his reply if you get one!

LSL said...

Love this letter, and LOVE your awesome cousin Jo! Thanks for posting something to feel good about. This has been miserable today!

Matt said...

Spider, thanks. I've been known to be a good letter-writer when I get into my Julia Sugarbake mode. :)

Condoblogger, I don't know ... I was hoping this was some (very untalented) form of comedy, of making a parody of the Phelps clan (GodHatesFags.com). But I don't think so. There's been a lot of debate out in the YouTube and blog world and I'm not convinced it's a joke. I think it is very, very real. By the way, he is an admitted "reformed homosexual". My comments on that bit of bullshit are withheld. (Oops - I guess not entirely. My bad).

Somewhere Joe, agreed that he's not worth my time. But, the whole mindset behind it is. And with a target in my sights, it's hard not to shoot. I may not (most likely won't) change his warped perceptions, but maybe something I write here or elsewhere, now or later, will make SOMEONE think.

And LSL, I read some of your comments on Joe.My.God today and you rock. If nothing else, we fight the good fight, no?

Thanks all. GOD LOVES A FAG.

;)