Wednesday, January 24, 2007

That horse doesn't look dead to me, mister ...

Okay, Mr. Donnie Davies is making my head hurt ...

Another video from him:





So, maybe this is a joke?

I swear I almost started laughing when I started watching this video. The purple wall ... the slow dramatic turn from the keyboard ... the overly dramatic voice ... complaining about being ridiculed for being "born this way" (thyroid conditions running in his family, lost over 120 pounds, thanking the homosexual community for where he is today - huh?).

Apparently, Andrew Sullivan protested the fact that YouTube removed Donnie's video, and Donnie is thanking him. You know Andrew Sullivan ... British-born, very conservative, devout Catholic, former editor of The New Republic, political writer and blogger on Time's website, VERY OPENLY GAY ...

And Cyndi Lauper listed on DD's website as a "safe" (read: anti-gay) musician??? (Remember her performing at the close of the 2006 Gay Games in Chicago?)



HOWEVER.

Even if this does all turn out to be parody, some elaborately set-up ruse to show how ridiculous these words are, an evolving and ever-grander turn toward sarcasm ... it has done damage. It has angered - even infuriated - a lot of members of the gay community and its' supporters. It has actually garnered praise from ultra-literalist right-wing radical religious zealots, from reading some of the comments (thankfully a minority) on YouTube, Google video (it's still there) and his MySpace page. It has re-introduced a hateful slogan that did not need re-introduction, thanks to the ongoing efforts of the "God Hates Fags" clan from Westboro Baptist Church. It has also made a mockery of Christianity and the normal, more moderate religious side of society. So my disgust at whatever this is continues.

Okay, I'm done. If I do ever get any response from Mr. Davies, I will still post that here. But that's it. I'll do whatever I feel I need to do in the background and not "publicly" to the five people who read this blog. But I will end saying that this whole thing is just wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Donnie is so confused! He finds love and acceptance only from the gay community, yet he wants to change them all into the "normal" people who were hateful and ridiculed him for his weight. It's ok for him to be "born that way" with a thyroid problem, but not ok to be "born that way" when it comes to being gay? Poor, poor man! So confused and angry! It will be interesting to see who he will be in another 5 years or so.

Anonymous said...

I still think the video was funny and I am also staggered that thinking people were even unsure as to wether it was for real or not. The websites screamed joke to me and others, but as I said, the fact that people thought it might have been real is a far sadder sign of what a mess the Christian church is in.