Monday, January 15, 2007

For Dad

I was fiddling around on YouTube tonight, and came across some videos of Victor Borge, whom I love!

Victor Borge was a Danish pianist, who was an amazing concert pianist for decades before turning to comedy. His comedic routines (almost) always revolved around classical music; a lot of the jokes are "inside jokes" for the musician set, but hysterical nonetheless.

My Dad introduced me to his comedy years ago. Dad had many professional musicians in his family, including an uncle who was a cellist with the Chicago Symphony for decades. Dad played the piano indescribably beautifully, although he kind of gave it up after becoming an engineer (hmm, sounds like me). One year I bought a videotape of one of his "concerts" and gave it to my Dad for Christmas. I think he loved that tape more than anything I'd ever given him. We watched it together almost every time I was back in Chicago, especially after he got sick.

Anytime that I even think of Victor Borge, I think of my Dad laughing. They've both passed away now, but I absolutely love this piece. Even if you're not a classical music lover, I think you'll find it funny. And I always get a little teary-eyed even while I'm laughing. (And the singer is phenomenal).



3 comments:

Kevin said...

Elevennis anytwo?

Matt said...

LOL ... I love his "Inflationary Language" - and his "Phonetic Punctuaion"!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clip. I never knew your dad played the piano.