Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Domesticated"

I've wondered before what sort of term is appropriate for legalized same-sex partnerships (assuming that "marriage" will not be one of them for a LONG time). Calling Scott my "partner" is currently in vogue, but it just doesn't have the same connotation as "husband". It sounds so business-like; it doesn't express what our relationship really is. I'm at a loss for any other word, though.

I don't remember how I came across this blog, but I started reading it because he lives in Seattle AND went to the same college in Illinois as I did (and it's not a big college). I thought this was a very cool and sweet posting on many levels - cute, sentimental, political all at once.


Addendum: I've been poking around my alma mater's website, and came across the college-owned house that I lived in my senior year. It's here (you'll have to scroll down ... a little more ... in the left-hand column) ... now called "Senior House #7" at 726 34th Street. My room was "Bedroom 1" on the second floor. If you click on the house name it gives a picture that SO does not do the house justice. It looked like a smaller version of the Amityville Horror house. Squirrels would run between the floors and between the walls. Good times ...

2 comments:

Spider said...

"Hey baby - wanna go get domesticated?" In a way, that really is sweet!

LSL said...

Ah, college. What is a college house without squirrels?

I Sleep in a Drawer has a way with words, doesn't he? I loved this post.