Monday, January 22, 2007

Is this some kind of sick joke?!?!?

I came across this on Good As You. I'm absolutely dumbstruck by it. Whether this is a joke (I hope?) or real (devastatingly horrible), this just disgusts me.

This guy is either the epitome of why conservative religion is shunned and despised by so many open-hearted people, or the epitome of a narrow-minded frat-boy jokester mentality gone way over the deep end. To call this "Christian music" boggles the mind. A true definitive Christian would never preach hate.

Either way, I am stunned. I hesitated to even post this video here because it is so shockingly appalling. But as I have said to Scott many times, the only way to know what we as a society are up against in trying to evolve is to be aware of the wingnuts that exist in it.



I am speechless. Honestly.

I so want to somehow do something about this, but I'm at a loss. Thoughts?

Addendum: Thank you to Scott for pointing out to me (dur!) that you can flag an individual video on YouTube as "Inappropriate" and select the reason for doing so as "Hate Speech". If you agree, please, PLEASE go to the video and flag this as well. I have also sent an e-mail to YouTube citing this as being against their Terms of Use (Section 5c) and have asked for their expedited response. Thanks.

Another addendum: This lovely man's e-mail is donniedavies@gmail.com. Spam away. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt and friends, please, PLEASE don't think that this is what is in every Christian's heart. I did some checking, and Donnie is a "reformed homosexual," who feels that his finding Jesus has "cured" him of his homosexual tendencies. Whatever he believes, I do not belive that Jesus hates homosexuals. He never taught anyone to hate. I have some other things to say, but I will email my thoughts to you. I hope you know that I love you!!

Matt said...

Jo, you're absolutely right. I did look into him as well and know that he is an "ex-gay", which is of course ridiculous. And I didn't mean to imply that this is a "Christian" belief - far from it. I found the idea of a "Christian" (term used loosely in his case) quite literally preaching hate to be mind-numbing and completely against what the idea of Christianity is supposed to be about.

And yes, Jo, I know, and I love you too. :)

Scott in Iowa said...

Hmmm...sounds to me like he's still fighting the "urges" and "feelings" that he sings about. I'm on my way to YouTube right now...

Paul said...

I'm not sorry that I didn't get to see the video before it was removed from YouTube. I'm sure that I would have had to classify Donnie as a misdirected nut.

Unfortunately, those with narrow, derogatory, disparaging views make it extremely hard for me to support organized religion and Christianity -- which generally I do.