Friday, November 24, 2006

Well THAT'S over with ...

So Thanksgiving has come and gone ... and I have to admit we don't have any pictures of it (sorry - I know how much y'all were looking forward to that ... ). Things got a little hectic, and even though the camera was around, it didn't get used.

The plan was for people to start showing up around 1:00 and dinner at 3:00. Our guests were all friends who work for Scott's company, plus their families. Well, in the retail world, the day before Thanksgiving, well, kinda sucks. Scott worked from 7:00 a.m. until midnight trying to get the store ready for Black Friday, and everyone else had similarly horrendous days. One of our guests called a little after 1:00 and had just woken up (she had worked an overnight shift), and they live about 45 minutes away. Our first guests arrived a little after 2:00 - and the guest who was supposed to bring the appetizers showed up a little after 3:00 because the fire alarms had gone off at his store and he had to travel 40 miles to Puyallup to work with the fire department. Luckily, I had a few things I could throw in front of the people who were there. Our last guests showed up a little after 4:00; luckily I was running a bit behind so dinner wasn't ruined.

Once everyone was here, though, we had a great time. Dinner was a success, which I was additionally thankful for since it was the first time I'd done all of it myself. We shared our home and dinner with some fantastic people, had good music and wine and laughed a lot, and then they all left to rest up for today.

Scott went to work around 4:30 this morning and is hoping to be home by 7:30 or so. Ick. I hope he's surviving ...

So how was YOUR Thanksgiving???

3 comments:

A Lewis said...

You gotta love the retail world! Ours was peachy...good food, nice wine, tolerable family, and plenty of major rain. We got up at 5:30am today....for no good reason. Left at 7 and went to a major number of stores to do absolutely nothing. Stopped and had breakfast, drank coffee, and then lunch. I really enjoy shopping when I have nothing to buy! I'll be interested to see where Scott works. He'll need a hot bath, warm meal, and you in the bed with him tonight!

Scott in Iowa said...

Sounds like you had a great day. Congrats on preparing your first Thanksgiving meal! I know what you mean about the retail careers sucking around the holidays. Andrew has worked retail for years. His stories of some of his customers with really bad attitudes even during the holidays are kinda sad. People seem to get meaner when you'd expect them to be nicer. Just gives me another reason to be thankful I don't work in retail.

mattviews said...

As usual I ate too much, stuffinf my stomach with too much trptophan and animal fat! My birthday is usually a few days before Thanksgiving--so you can imagine the kind of indulgence in which I plunged myself. Endless eating. But it's always fun to be with friends and family, no matter what's served on the table. Enjoy your blog.