Thursday, November 09, 2006

Dog Days of Fall

I'm writing this from Scott's mom's house in Port Orchard, Washington. It's pretty rural where she lives ... there are deer and bears and woods - and dogs. She has three dogs - two standard poodles (one's a puppy) and a Bichon Frise. I ended up bringing Kali with me since Scott had to work late last night and all day today and tomorrow, and I didn't want Kali to have to be alone outside all that time - for her sake as well as for the yard and deck and everything else she likes to try to destroy. The other dogs are okay staying inside the house, but Kali is in her Terrible Twos, and despite of her ongoing recovery she's a doggie dynamo. She's terrorizing the Bichon, Sweetie (who lives up to her name admirably), romping with the puppy (Rosie), and luckily is smart enough to stay away from the bigger dog (Bianco). But they're actually getting along pretty well, despite Kali's love of literally galloping around the house, playing with THEIR toys, and pouncing on whatever unsuspecting dog she sees. Methinks a puppy class is in the cards ...

Besides feeling like a pre-school teacher, I'm pretty bored. I don't know the area well enough to put Kali in the car and go exploring, and it's been raining steadily since I pulled into the driveway so I can't just sit out in the back yard with them (his mom has beautiful gardens). So I'm sitting inside, NPR on the radio (I forgot my iPod), checking the news online every so often and waiting for the Virginia senate seat to be decided. If Kali takes a nap (for maybe ten minutes at a time) I can read some of the books I brought with me for a short while. I'm looking forward to heading back to Seattle tomorrow!

I don't have access to my e-mail from here, so if anyone wants to post any comments ... please do ... love is good ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A standard poodle huh? How ironic. We live with a black standard poodle. Bailey. He is kind enough to allow us to share his house with him. I'm sure he will be the topic of one of my upcoming posts.