Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today is when we honor those who have lost their lives while serving our country. While I am adamantly opposed to the war that we started over five years ago, I am still patriotic and proud of our citizens who are doing what they believe in. My deepest sympathies go out to all those who have lost loved ones, in this war and in all others.

I wrote last year about how my father had a military burial, as he was a veteran of World War II. The playing of taps is one of the simplest and saddest sounds I can imagine, especially when at the funeral of someone who has fallen during their service to our country.






In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

"In Flanders Fields"

John McCrae, 1915.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing peace, always.

This poem is dear to us Canadians too. We memorize it in elementary school lol.

A Lewis said...

Oooohhhhh, taps. Gives me the goosebumps on my arms. I remember my father's funeral with Taps. One of those things you don't soon forget. By the way, I tried to send you a "Happy Memorial Day" text message to your phone....but it came back....have you changed numbers?