Saturday, May 03, 2008

Bye, R.

My best friend at work, R, ended his job with the firm the other day. He and I have become pretty good buddies over the past year, and I already miss him. I've never really had a work buddy who I went on breaks with, grabbed lunch with almost every day, and worked so well with (we were in different departments but had a lot of job interaction).

One of our recruiters with whom we're also friends kept trying to come up with a name for us, since we were seen together so often. Laverne and Shirley? No. Tom and Jerry? Eh. Nothing quite fit. But everyone knew we were friends. Our recruiter friend grabbed me yesterday to see if I was doing okay. I admitted I was sad about the whole situation.

I'm sure we'll keep in touch to some extent, as he and his partner live pretty close to Scott and me, but it's different not seeing him every day. I had to take a walk and get lunch by myself yesterday, and it was pretty lonely. I'm not one to have many friends outside of those Scott and I see together, so in a way this is kinda like a death to me.

Matterdays sad.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a similar situation happen to me at one of my jobs. I totally know what you mean. Even though you'll see that person outside of the work place, it's strange not seeing them every day. It'll get better though, but the next few weeks will be tough!

Anonymous said...

Aw, sorry cuz! ((((hugs))))

LSL said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It feels prett great to click with someone, and to have that at work is something special. I'm just sorry :(

Anonymous said...

oh man, that sucks - sorry :(

Joe Jubinville said...

Bummer. Work buds are a kind of family, sometimes closer.

Paul said...

Work friends are very important. Find another tomorrow.

I'm currently working with a friend that I worked with at my first job out of college. We hadn't seen each other in years until Google reconnected us.

Good times are had by all.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you are able to maintain contact and who knows, maybe it will become a better friendship in the end?

Michael said...

Aw, Matt, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Having a good friend at work definitely makes the work day easier. Hope you find someone to fill his shoes soon.