Sunday, May 27, 2007

You cannot NOT be moved by this voice

Now, we all know that Matterdays is not a religious person ... however, there's no way that I can imagine to not be moved by Ms. Mahalia Jackson. A powerhouse of a voice, hands down. And her rendition of "The Lord's Prayer" is, in my humble opinion, the definitive recording of this song. Awe-inducing, and tear-inducing. Always.

This is from 1961.



I remember many years ago, seeing and hearing her sing in the funeral scene of "Imitation of Life" (another of my favorite sob-inducing movies that hit me hard). I think that was the first time I had actually seen her. Hooked for life. You will be, too.

5 comments:

A Lewis said...

When you think of Mahalia singing this in 1961, it really does make a difference in how you view this piece. Talk about hatred and discrimination. She's so cool. I remember I used to say her name over and over...thinking how funny it was.

Rick Rockhill said...

She was SUCH a great singer. I loved Imitation of Life btw, so good.

Incidentally, I just did a post on my 7 favorite female vocalists...forgot all about Mahalia. Anyway stop by and say hi sometime...interested in your thoughts.

www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

Paul said...

I disagree that you're not a religious person. It seems to be a fairly regular topic.

Anonymous said...

Ahh Mahalia! My mother played her tapes regularly, beautiful!

Matt said...

PSS: I will definitely check it out!

Paul: I'm a spiritual person, but definitely not religious - at least not in the sense of subscribing to and following the tenets of any one religion. But, of course, my background does come into play here and there ...