Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Cool cool cool music Part IV

Okay, I'll stop after this post, if y'all want ... temporarily. Maybe I'll make this a weekly post, 'cause I can find a LOT of cool music to post ...

I mentioned earlier that Lizz Wright reminded me in her delivery of Eva Cassidy. Eva was virtually unknown except for around the Washington, DC area; she died of cancer in 1996 when she was 33 years old. Figure skater Michelle Kwan used this song in her 2002 Olympics routine, which brought a lot of attention to Eva and her rendition of "Fields of Gold", originally made popular by Sting.

Unfortunately there is no real video of Eva's performance of this song. The closest I've found is a compilation video of Eva performing live at Blues Alley in Washington, DC. Don't watch it for the video, but rather just to hear her sing. It's raw, emotional, simple, and stunning. I can never get enough of listening to her voice. So tragic that she died so young ...

2 comments:

Michael said...

Eva Cassidy is way cool. You have great taste.

NWJR said...

How is it that I never heard of her? Thanks for the post...