Sunday, January 18, 2009

Good News, Bad News

I always like to get the bad news out of the way first. I mentioned a while back that our microwave had died, and that we wanted to replace it with an over-the-stove version - but whoever remodeled the kitchen oh, twenty years ago, hung the cabinets too low. So, we've done without for now, and it hasn't seemed a huge deal.


Yesterday morning I started cleaning the kitchen, and put the oven on "self-clean". A couple of hours later I was back in the kitchen and suddenly heard this buzzing electrical sound. I looked over at the stove, and the was some black smoke coming from behind it, an orange glow, then a flash and a pop - and it was dead.





After it had cooled down, Scott pulled it out from the wall and unscrewed the back panel, and it looks like the "motherboard" (or whatever it's called on a stove) had fried. A call to Sears confirmed that the warranty had expired in October, and we can't get someone out to fix it until Thursday. So, we'll have to get creative with dinners. Last night we picked up teriyaki, but we can't afford to eat out every night. We do have a separate indoor electric grill which I'll use, and a crock pot. We don't have any propane for the outdoor grill, and I probably won't refill that just yet since it's (hopefully) only a couple of days. If there's one thing I've discovered, it's that I can get pretty creative about food when I have to.





Oh yeah, the good news - there's witch hazel blooming in the back yard:

And your weekend?

2 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

Sheesh, when it rains it pours. I should send you my George Foreman grill as an interim solution. At least you keep a positive spirit.

Nice witch hazel, by the way.

-Rick

A Lewis said...

Oh man, electrical and stove issues are the pits..... good thing there wasn't a fire or something horrible. Maybe you can find a cute young chef who'll come in and make dinners for free.