Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Overwhelmed.

Hi kids.

I know, I know ... I've been lax (to put it mildly) at posting. So I'm going to at least post a quick, bullet-point update on My Life:
  • I wrote about having to replace one of my team members who retired. I did hire someone, who started yesterday. I think she's going to be fantastic - quick learner, great personality, eager to roll up her sleeves and get into it ASAP. WOW I need that right now.
  • Another team member in Ohio (who reads this blog!) changed her role in the firm and will no longer be in Accounting, so we're transitioning all functions to Seattle. Luckily, we have had an INCREDIBLE temp person working in our Seattle office for many, many months - so I offered her the job immediately, and she accepted. Yay!
  • Those are the good things. The challenges? Training two people at the same time. Going through some big policy changes (or at least, needing to enforce policies that haven't been enforced for a LONG time). Being unpopular with the people/scofflaws whom this affects. Starting two new positions at a hugely busy (more so than normal) time of the month. Add the other changes that I have been trying to implement - and you have one haggard-looking, stressed-out Matterdays.
  • The pile of "other" issues that I WANT to be dealing with as a manager? Well, I keep inheriting more and more and more and more. Nothing goes away. I'm still trying to deal with things that haven't been addressed (at least not properly) for the past two years while I was gone. I'm beginning to resign myself to the fact that if I ever want to see the surface of my desk again, the only solution will involve flammable liquids and a match. And don't think I won't go there.

Thus endeth the rantings/ravings/whining/bitchings of Matterdays.

Thanks for lending an ear.

12 comments:

john said...

It's okay. You are allowed to be busy outside of blog land. You do have a life that you need to tend to!! We're always here whenever you do come back!

CondoBlogger said...

busy = job security!

Darth Gateau said...

If your desk looks like a war zone, simply employ and enjoy the chaos desk management system. If it doesn't need to be done yet, you push it to the outer edges of your desk. The stuff that keeps coming back will remain near at hand. The stuff that always seems to be there, hasn't been done for ages and yet you still don't have time to do, will get pushed so far away it'll eventually fall of your desk and you won't see it any more and therefore won't worry. Every so often, tidy the floor and if there's been stuff there for a long time then it probably doesn't really need to be done at all and you can file it in the 'round file'.
Simple.
Maybe this is why I'm not a Captain of Industry. Hmmm...

Bizarrely enough tho, it is actually a recognised way of time management but hugely simplified!

Anonymous said...

maybe you can have an assistant?

A Lewis said...

Hold on here.....two out of four bullet points were positive. That's 50%. And, yet, you said "rantings/ravings/whining/bitchings"......
I think it sounds like things are busy, but good!

LSL said...

I don't think I could ever blog if my work peeps read it.

It's great to hear how things are going. I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Can I come to the bonfire?

Anonymous said...

{{hugs}} Matt

Paul said...

At least we know you're still alive!

Steven said...

I'll second what Lewis and Paul have said. I thought you must have been tending to your garden or emptying out the pond for the upcoming fall season.

Scott in Iowa said...

I once read this post called "simple". Maybe you should scroll back a month or so and re-read.
Hope things get less stressful for you soon. I'm kinda sharing your pain at work right now as well. Taking on too many projects at once and non of them going away. Let's get together and drink.

Rick Rockhill said...

well I understand..its stressful at times for sure. I had a tough week, not as much as yours of late tho.