Monday, March 05, 2007

The Answer to my Four Truths and a Lie

So here's my story:

I once convinced someone that I was starring in the musical "Miss Saigon" by singing a duet from said musical with a friend - in public

True. We were spending a weekend in Chicago before one of my grad school roommates (Ellen) moved back to Philadelphia. We were dressed up, going from fancy hotel bar to fancy hotel bar ("one and done"-ing), and we were befriended by a rather drunk guy who was in town on a business trip. We decided to have a little fun with him and said we were from out of town, too - starring in the touring production of "Miss Saigon". So on Michigan Avenue, in front of the John Hancock building, we sang some duet (I think it was "The Last Night of the World"). Ellen is one of my opera-singer friends, with a gorgeous mezzo-soprano voice, so as long as I held my own underneath her part, we sounded convincing. Even though Ellen doesn't look REMOTELY Asian ...

I have played with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as a soloist

True. My senior year in high school I competed in a young performer's competition, and the finalists would perform with the Chicago Symphony on a live PBS telecast. I didn't make it into the finals, but I was a semi-finalist and got to perform with the orchestra for the judges.

I was a manager of a McDonald's restaurant

True. Not the general manager - but I was an assistant manager. When I was in grad school, my rehearsals were all in the late afternoon or evening, so I needed to work as early in the day as possible - so McDonald's it was. I used to go to work at 5 a.m. (3 a.m. once I was a manager) and work eight hours by 1 p.m., then go to classes and rehearsals and get home around 9-10 p.m. There's NO WAY I could ever do that now, and actually I'm surprised I could do it then. I was there for about 2 1/2 years and was a manager within the first year or so.

I have thrown a frozen margarita at a woman in front of my boss

FALSE. I'm too nice and reserved. But there IS a grain of truth to this - I was waiting tables and accidently dumped a frozen strawberry margarita off of the tray and down a woman's back, with my boss standing ten feet away. After her initial scream and jumping to her feet, she actually started laughing hysterically - she wasn't mad at all. Of course I apologized profusely and comped her dinner.

I have ridden a camel in Egypt

True. The summer after I graduated from high school, I went on a three-week trip abroad - England, France, Italy, Greece, and a week-long Mediterranean cruise stopping in Egypt, Israel, Turkey, and a couple of the Greek Islands (Rhodes and Patmos). While in Egypt, we rode camels for about a mile to the base of the Great Pyramids. It's a very touristy thing to do, but how can you pass that up???

So TheBuxStopHere and Sue are the winners!!!! Oh ... I hadn't thought of any prizes ... what do you two want?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey matt!!! no prize needed, that was fun!!! i might try it sometime, memes that is,lol...thanks for keeping me entertained with your site, i look forward to it every day!!!

KipEsquire said...

If you had said "assistant manager" and not just "manager," then I would have picked that one.

No, really...

Paul said...

Since Sue doesn't want her prize, can I have it?

CondoBlogger said...

STRAWBERRY!? Wow, that was a VERY understanding woman! I'm guessing she wasn't wearing white.