Sunday, November 23, 2008

MatterBulletPoints

Oy. The past week in a nutshell:
  • Second interviews with two candidates. I wasn't as impressed the second time around.
  • First interview with someone recommended by another person in the firm. Wrong.
  • A long, very difficult discussion with the rest of our Core Team. The economy sucks, and our firm laid off at least five people last week. We're not hiring anybody ... it would send the wrong message, and if we do hire, we'd more than likely have to lay someone off within the next six months. So - no hires. Meaning, our AP team is losing a person, even though we already run a very lean department. Ouch.
  • Most of my team, while scared of the additional workload, says "We'll make it work. We'll pull together". There's no other choice.
  • The most odious member of my team immediately harped on getting additional workspace, since we're losing someone. Nice empathy, babe.
  • Same team member than copied me and another manager on one of the rudest e-mails I've ever read, voicing her opposition to a new advocacy program we're implementing. Basically, she only works here because it pays the bills, and demeaned everything the firm stands for. A "come to Jesus" meeting is going to take place next week. I don't think she's long for this world, professionally.
  • Had dinner Friday night with someone I knew in college, who now teaches at said college. How cool to know that so many people on the faculty there remember me and sent warm wishes.
  • Our Thanksgiving has turned from just Scott and I to six people, including a two-year-old. I'm over the top with anxiety about getting the house cleaned. I can't believe I'm taking the time to write this.
  • Scott decided to hire a maid service to do some heavy cleaning before the holiday. Unfortunately, as of right now it doesn't seem that anyone can come the times we need them to.
  • My sleep schedule is sooooo fucked. I got up at 4:30 this morning. Not that I've gotten anything accomplished today. I still have to vacuum and steam-clean the carpets and go to the store. I'll put off buying everything we need for Thanksgiving and stop at the store each night on my way home from work this week.
  • I have to work on Friday, to make sure there's some minimal coverage in our department. Blech.

Off to clean and start laundry ... why do I do this to myself?

4 comments:

A Lewis said...

I'd clean your house for you if I lived closer...seriously. And do you grocery shopping too! As for having dinner with a 2-year-old...gee,doesn't that sound like a lot of fun.

john said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! You'll realize that it is all worth it, once everything is finished.

Rick Rockhill said...

Deep breath, realize that you can't get everything done, so just hang in there and keep smiling.

Now work, that's another story!

madhouse 6 said...

of course they remember you and think warmly of you. you're a warm guy ;-)