Thursday, February 21, 2008

I Won!!!!!

My blog buddy Joe sponsored a One World, One Heart contest recently ... what a very cool idea. I have to think of some cool way to "pay it forward" in a year. Any suggestions?

Anyway - I. WON. My prize was to have Joe post a reading on his blog of whatever poem I chose, which is quite an honor. He has quite the easy-on-the-ears voice, and gives such exquisite interpretations. I was honored to get to pick a poem for him to interpret. And, he's quite a nice guy, too.

See and hear his interpretation here. The poem I chose:



since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;
wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
— the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis



e.e. cummings



I love the lightness Joe put into this poem ... I've always read e.e. cummings with a darkness beneath it all, and he's made me look at his writings from a different side. I love that. This is was I was hoping for, and Joe didn't disappoint.

Thanks, Joe. I'm honored.

4 comments:

A Lewis said...

Congratulations! Gift is in the mail.

Curtis said...

He did a beautiful job!

Rick Rockhill said...

congrats! Wonderful poem, beautiful really.

Joe Jubinville said...

Matt, I was so pleased that you won... and you can imagine my delight (I swear by all flowers) when I saw the poem that you chose. I'm nuts about cummings and always found him more droll than dark. Apart from the chance to do the reading, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to position the poet, for you, in an unfamiliar light. What are friends for?