Sunday, May 03, 2009

Glitter And Be Gay

Yes, that's Patti LuPone at the beginning ... and Kristen Chenowith singing. Her voice has really grown on me the past few years, and I think this is hands-down the best interpretation of the humor in this song that I've heard in quite a while - the fair maiden who has given herself away, but has been rewarded with jewelry. What's not to love?

About seven minutes, but quite enjoyable.

Glitter and be gay,

That's the part I play;

Here I am in Paris, France.

Forced to bend my soul

To a sordid role,

Victimized by bitter, bitter circumstance.

Alas for me! Had I remained Beside my lady mother,

My virtue had remained unstained

Until my maiden hand was gained

By some Grand Duke or other.

Ah, 'twas not to be;Harsh necessity

Brought me to this gilded cage.

Born to higher things,Here I droop my wings,Ah!

Singing of a sorrow nothing can assuage.

And yet of course I rather like to revel, Ha ha!

I have no strong objection to champagne,Ha ha!

My wardrobe is expensive as the devil,Ha ha!

Perhaps it is ignoble to complain...

Enough, enoughOf being basely tearful!

I'll show my noble stuff

By being bright and cheerful!

Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!

Pearls and ruby rings...Ah, how can worldly things

Take the place of honor lost?

Can they compensate

For my fallen state,

Purchased as they were at such an awful cost?

Bracelets...lavalieres,

Can they dry my tears?

Can they blind my eyes to shame?

Can the brightest brooch shield me from reproach?

Can the purest diamond purify my name?

And yet of course these trinkets are endearing,Ha ha!

I'm oh, so glad my sapphire is a star,Ha ha!

I rather like a twenty-carat earring,Ha ha!

If I'm not pure, at least my jewels are!

Enough! Enough! I'll take their diamond necklace

And show my noble stuff

By being gay and reckless!

Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha!

Observe how bravely I conceal

The dreadful, dreadful shame I feel.

Ha ha ha ha!

5 comments:

Curtis said...

Oh, you gotta love jewelry.

Rick Rockhill said...

how FUN! I love Kristin btw, she is so sweet

cb said...

I saw this on PBS... LOVE Kristen as Cunegonde! She's brilliant

Will said...

The entire production is worth watching. LuPone made a meal out of the Old Lady and Paul Groves was a delightful little dumpling of a Candide.

Damien said...

I had no idea Cheni was THIS talented - thats a voice and a half.

HELL ! - thats TWO voices.